Artistic Nonsense

I'm an artist who writes nonsense..... Or is that just part of being an artist....

Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Day is a Year in the King's Court -3-

Here you go GinNs :)


A Day is a Year in the Kings Court: Introductions


"Oh, my dear Catherine! Do not be so hard on them, they were only following my instructions. I had hoped that you would be so enraptured by the library that you would not notice until they had done. You see, it is my intention to buy you an entirely new wardrobe. I knew that your dresses would be horribly out of fashion, and I've been planning this for weeks. Do not blame the maids for getting a little carried away."
Catherine was not placated. "I do not care who told them what. Any well-mannered servant would treat property belonging to a lady with more care than this no matter what state that property be in. And if I may say Lady Margaret, although I appreciate your gesture, I would have preferred that you consult me before throwing away my things. As it so happens, I am aware that my wardrobe is out of fashion, and I planned on redesigning my dresses to fit the fashions at court as soon as I had a chance to observe them.
Lady Margaret was unperturbed, "You must call me Aunt Margaret, dear! And don't get so worked up about it. I am sorry that I didn't consult you first, but I wanted to surprise you."
Catherine found that she couldn't stay angry with her decidedly cheerful aunt, and gave into her.
"Very well, Aunt Margaret, I forgive you, but please remember that I only like surprises that do not include ruining any of my things."
"Of course, dear, of course. Now. I have already had a dress sewn for you, based on the measurements your mother gave me, and I am simply dying to see if it fits you! You must try it on at your earliest convenience. My apartment is two doors down to your left, visit as soon as you finish settling in. Oh yes, and these young maids were hired especially to wait on you as I knew that your mother would not think to send any with you. Their names.... oh well. It doesn't really matter, I suppose that you can call them whatever you want and they'll answer. I'm off! I shall see you shortly, yes? Goodbye dear!" And with that, her aunt swept out of the room with a flourish that Catherine had not known was humanly possible.
Catherine considered that cheerfulness was not really a virtue, and lamented how ill her aunt had treated the maids in speaking about them the way that she just had.
There were a few moments of silence before Catherine remembered that her maids were still in the room, and were probably waiting for her leave. She turned to them, and said, "I do not suppose that you young women are used to being on informal terms with the ladies you serve, if you have served any before, but I am afraid that I must insist. I absolutely refuse to treat you as no more than servants considering the close proximity of our living conditions, and the amount of time that we shall be spending together."
The young maids were shocked into silence, and Catherine could not help but feel a little anxious that they like her, and that they not think her to be too capricious.
"First and foremost, I would know your names."
She turned to the maid on the right, and waited for her name.
"My name is Martha, milady."
"And where do you hail from Martha?"
Martha unsure how to answer for a moment, but then replied, "My mum works in the kitchens, and my d... my father is a guard."
Catherine smiled and reassured Martha saying, "Do not be ashamed of your parents, Martha. I am certain that they are honest, hard-working people."
She turned to the next girl who took her cue, and said, " I am called Anne, Lady Catherine. My father is a merchant in the city."
Catherine detected refinement in Anne's speech and asked, "And your mother? Anne is a name for a lady. Is your mother a lady, Anne?"
Anne reluctantly responded, "She was, Lady Catherine. However, when she married my father, she was disowned by her father... my grandfather."
"Do not fret, Anne. Sometimes, the noblest of people are not possessed of a noble title. I am certain that your father is a very worthy man."
Anne dimpled, and earnestly replied, "He is Lady Catherine! I truly believe that he is."
Anne sighed contentedly and then felt badly for having dissappointed her new mistress earlier by treating her things so carelessly. She was ashamed for her ill-mannered behavior, and determined to never behave so again.
Catherine asked the next young woman her name and was surprised when she answered in thickly-accented English, "Olivia, my lady."
"Olivia.... That is a very Italian name. Are you Italian, Olivia?"
"Yes! How did my lady know?"
To which Catherine responded in fluent Italian, quickly explaining about Cecilia, her beloved Italian tutor, and friend.
And then in English for the benefit of the other two maids, "I have spoken Italian since my childhood."
Catherine was excited at the prospect of speaking Italian with Olivia, and Olivia returned the feeling twofold.
"My mother was a lady-in-waiting in Italy too, only, my father was a baron. He lost his land in a small war, and now he is forced here. He is trying work as a merchant, but it is being very hard for him."
Catherine chatted with the girls a little longer and then left them to carry out the rest of their duties. As she left the room, she noticed Mark sitting in a hard-backed chair by the door.
"Why, Mark. I must apologize, I completely forgot about you. I suppose that you are waiting to be dismissed?"
Mark had jumped out of his chair the moment Catherine began speaking to him and was now standing ready to be given orders.
"No, if you'll excuse me for contradicting you milady, but I am supposed to wait on you all day, every day should you wish to give me a task."
Catherine could not imagine doing such a thing, and told him so.
"Mark, I am giving you the rest of the day off, and from now on, it would suit me if you were to find another way of making yourself useful throughout the day, perhaps help in the stables, and just check to see if I need anything every few hours. I imagine that will suffice. If I desire to change arrangements I shall let you know. But do not forget to come at eight tomorrow so that you can guide me through the castle."
Mark began to protest, but Catherine insisted, and so he went, reluctant at first, and then happy about his unexpected good fortune in serving so gracious a lady.

That was earlier today. And Catherine had time to consider her situation since. She had not yet gone to visit her aunt about the new dress, and her thoughts were moving ever foreward.
"How am I ever going to get accustomed to this?" She lamented to herself.
"Lord, please help me to accept, and make the best of my situation." That prayer was her last thought before she leapt from her bed, startled at the sound of a man's laughter coming from HER library!

4 Comments:

  • At 2:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm ready too, Shelley!!!! I just printed the chapters out--I don't have time to read them on the computer, but I'm sure I LOVE IT. teehee. Please write more! Oh...but...don't forget about Braedsen Village! :-D

     
  • At 2:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    lol...um...I meant I'm *reading* it too...geez...don't know where "ready" came from. Unles my subconscious was trying to tell you "it's about time you do something besides waste your life in college!! Blogger is WAY more important!!" ;) Hope things are going well for you!

     
  • At 3:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks Tracy! :)
    I hope that things are going well for you too!

     
  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger Her Munificient Brattiness said...

    I love it so far!! post more!!! post more!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home